Coaching provides on going, personal support to individual workers and can cover a wide range of issues depending on their needs at any given time.
- Strategy – How to structure the program or any individual meeting to ensure it meets everybody’s needs.
- Support – How to handle a specific concern. E.g. Volunteer leaders; parents; an individual Young personal.
- Skill – Hay they encountered a gap in their knowledge and/or have a question about ministry.
Coaching is often a scheduled, monthly phone call with 2 (two) face to face visits each year. Payment made annually.
Training can be tailored to your specific needs – both content and duration (from 1 hour to a weekend to a series)
- Sample topics are:
- How to communicate so young people will listen.
- How to recruit, train and retain volunteers.
- Relational Youth Work.
- How to work with parents.
- Reaching out beyond your four walls.
- Working with troubled youth.
- Ensuring students wellbeing.
- Team Dynamics.
- Being effective and efficient.
- Dealing with the online world.
- Understanding teenagers.
Feel free to invite other ministries and their leaders.
Nigel is an accomplished public speaker and has spoken in several countries to audiences up to several hundred in size. He can speak to your church, youth, parents and/or leaders.
He can be a one-off Sunday morning or youth meeting up to a weekend retreat or complete series.
Talk to him about your needs and suggested dates.
If you want to develop a youth ministry and have some questions or need some support then Nigel can help. From an informal phone conversation to a full board / church presentation and all points in between.
When you are at the stage where you want to employ (even if voluntary without pay) Nigel can help with the process. Job descriptions, Ministry goals and objectives, person profiles, advertising, interviewing, recruiting, employment conditions, induction, the complete package.
About Nigel Lane
Nigel is a veteran youth worker with over 25 years experience from a church voluntary youth leader to a full-time Youth for Christ Director; a Chaplain in a Young Offenders Institution to a Christian College – including mentoring and coaching scores of young people and many youth leaders along the way. He is a published author of parenting books as well as a competent, engaging speaker – whether to a large crowd (1000+) or training a small group.
Nigel would welcome a conversation on how he can serve you. Here are some snapshots of his work.
BYFC and YFCA (British and Australia Youth for Christ – 15 years)
- Local director
- Growth and development of staff teams
- Worked in schools and with churches
- Trained volunteers
- Member of National Leadership Team (Australia)
- Seconded to local youth prison (UK)
- Seconded to local church (Australia)
Chaplain – Christian College Geelong (7 years)
- Led a team of 5 chaplains at a 2000 student, 5 campus independent school
- Based on senior campus working with Years 10-12 students (500 students)
- Provided support to students, parents and staff including coaching, advising, staff and student ‘church’ services.
- Involved in prefect selection, training and support.
- Working with local churches supporting their members that attended the school.
- Practical Evangelism – Tabor College
- Youth Ministry (part of a Bachelor’s Degree) – RTC
- Relational youth ministry course
- Small group facilitation
- Parenting course – teenagers, primary school students, high school students (some delivered with Jan – wife of 39 years)
- Improving student engagement [to school staff]
- Volunteer youth workers
- Numerous business qualifications for organisations including Cotton on Group; Deakin Prime; Alcoa; Lake Imaging and Americold (as examples).
Countries Taught In
- United Kingdom [UK]
- New Zealand
Memberships and Other Achievements
- Member of Mensa
- Spring Harvest (UK) – Detached Team leader
- Bellarine Secondary College – member of student welfare team
- VCE English Orals Assessor
- Regular local radio contributor (and past show host) (96three Geelong)
- Seminar presenter (casual and occasional) for Office of Small Business, Victorian Government (last 12 years)
- Instructional Design – training and resource creation for various disciplines
- Previously denominational state youth leader
- Past member of Toastmasters
- Major published book: 101 Practical Ways to Motivate your Child
- Masters in Evangelism Studies (University of Sheffield UK)
- Diploma in Youth Work
- Diploma in Business
- Diploma in Management
- Diploma in Project Management
- Cert IV in Training and Assessment